Discuss the goings on around Stillwell Stadium
By 100Proof
KingOwl wrote:
100 Proof wrote:Well that's a game to forget....

Hey @KingOwl was the softball game today against Auburn always on the schedule? I never noticed it until yesterday. I know we're playing well this year but jeez having to go to Auburn? Yikes.

Always love when we play Auburn in sports. I grew up and am still an Auburn fan but I'm KSU first and foremost and kinda like pulling against the Tigers lol

Nope. They added a game against Auburn a few weeks ago. I'm guessing both teams needed to make up games, or something along those lines.

Wish you could have willed us to a win last night lol

Ok I thought it was added, but didn't know for sure. I was impressed by the way we showed up and played Auburn tonight. They weren't intimidated and hung in there with one of the best teams in America.

Would be pretty sweet to win the conference and maybe play in the Auburn Regional.
By BurialGround
So.. any chance at making a run in the tourney? I know it's a long shot to win the whole thing, but I think we have a favorable match-up against Stetson in round one with Tony on the mound. Very likely his last start as an Owl.

Also, what happened to Ward? Worked his way into the weekend rotation and then... gone. Did he choose to leave, or was it something off the field?
By 100Proof
BurialGround wrote:So.. any chance at making a run in the tourney? I know it's a long shot to win the whole thing, but I think we have a favorable match-up against Stetson in round one with Tony on the mound. Very likely his last start as an Owl.

Also, what happened to Ward? Worked his way into the weekend rotation and then... gone. Did he choose to leave, or was it something off the field?

If I had to bet on them making it to the CWS I would bet against it. They don't have the pitching to win the A-Sun. Their bats would have to be on fire all week for them to win it imo
By KingOwl
I'm with 100 proof...the bats would need to explode. Dibrell needs to go at least 7 vs. Stetson to get the first win. Then we just need to piece together enough pitching to win game 2...but by games 3 and 4 everything would be taxed.

I heard Ward is no longer on the team. I won't say much more than that.
By KingOwl
andddd lose 3. Now we need to win 3 games in 2 days, with our #4 starter, Dibrell on 2? days rest and dupree et al. Gonna be tough
By BurialGround
You know, if we just had one more good starting arm in our rotation.... :/

Oh well, tough end to a bad season. I hope we can find some arms that can step in immediately next season, but a look at the recruiting class doesn't give me much hope. The lineup is all set up to win, but we desperately need arms.
By KingOwl
BurialGround wrote:You know, if we just had one more good starting arm in our rotation.... :/

Oh well, tough end to a bad season. I hope we can find some arms that can step in immediately next season, but a look at the recruiting class doesn't give me much hope. The lineup is all set up to win, but we desperately need arms.

Yeah, next season seems like a rebuilding year. The pitching recruiting has been subpar for years now and it caught up to us this year and it's really going to hit next year. Need A.J. to stay in school, and hoping for a miracle for Dibrell, but not expecting it.

Looks like we have some veteran arms coming in from JUCO/D1.
By BurialGround
KingOwl wrote:
BurialGround wrote:
Looks like we have some veteran arms coming in from JUCO/D1.

Yeah, but the stats from most of the JUCOs don't look all that impressive. Stats aren't necessarily tell-all, but still. Who do we have transferring from a D1 that could make an impact?

I guess the important thing is to have some guys that can come in and start/eat up innings right away. So we don't have a choice but to go the transfer/JUCO route.