KSU football is here! Discuss anything pigskin related.
By corn_3024
I don't love that he's from an option team. I also don't love this his expertise isn't secondary, but overall you can't complain. He's a good coach, with a good resume, and extremely familiar with the Socon.
By BurialGround
It does make you wonder if he can gameplan against pass-heavy teams, but some of that will come down to the defensive assistants he brings in. He's supposed to be a great recruiter, so if he can keep bringing in top-level talent, we should keep improving. We still have some targets on the board for this recruiting cycle...
By superfan
does not matter he is from option teams. defensive plans or for opponent. hardly anyone runs the option anymore. I would imagine nearly all of his game plans are for spread type offenses. What makes the option such a good offense is teams have tough time preparing for it because they just do not see it.
By superfan
it also does not matter about what position he coaches. the coordinator looks at practice film daily and goes over every position with staff to ensure proper coaching happens to correct mistakes. Each coordinator may have one position they coach but they could step in and coach any position.
By corn_3024
Not trying to be negative. He's a fine, safe hire. However the offense you play the most is your own. It would be nice to have a coordinator with a little more variety. I have no doubt he knows how to play other teams. As far as his recruiting, I have no clue. I would imagine we will be a zone heavy team again. I like defensive minds with secondary expertise there. Not a must, just personal preference.

The Citadel held one team under 20 points last year. That was Chuck South... who couldn't score 20 on anyone. Seems to be an outlier, but it is somewhat alarming.

Next season we are loaded on defense. If we can stay healthy we will be fine.
By Birdman
It can be difficult to recruit at military schools considering the extra commitments. He should have a bit more flexibility on the recruiting front at KSU, which will be interesting to watch.
By superfan
Charleston southern had 75 yards total offense against citadel, scored on a short field drive of 35 yards and a blocked punt. Extremely hard to recruit kids today to a military school. They just do not want to go thru the stuff they have to go thru. Thus teams like the citadel come up short in personnel against most teams. They also do not take transfers except kids that have graduated and have one more year left. I counted 19 transfer kids on 2018 roster for KSU. Huge difference. Citadel had four with one year left and none played very much. Great school, kids turn into men, graduate, about 33% go into military rest typically get good jobs. Just hard to sell all that to a young kid who likes facial hair, long hair and ability to do what they want to do most of the time. They have to wear a uniform if out within 30 miles of school.